Member Benefits of the HPC
We value a comprehensive approach that is collaborative, strategic, sustainable, involves multiple stakeholders, and proceeds from a careful analysis of the problem of hazing within specific institutional contexts. Through this trailblazing initiative, we are committed to building upon tested models of prevention from varied fields to continue refining research-informed hazing prevention practices.
- Build capacity for campus hazing prevention.
- Demonstrate institutional commitment to a safe and inclusive campus climate through HPC membership.
- Receive support to foster a campus climate where students are treated with dignity and respect in their development as leaders, athletes, and community citizens.
- Access the knowledge, skills, and expertise of recognized hazing researchers and prevention specialists who share information, resources, and feedback.
- Receive customized guidance to assess campus climate for hazing, build capacity and cultural competence in hazing prevention, build and manage hazing prevention coalitions, plan for, implement and evaluate hazing prevention strategies, and sustain prevention initiatives.
- Build capacity through Technical Assistance (TA) with the StopHazing team, regular webinars on hazing research and prevention, and access to online resources.
- Expand campus climate assessments using rigorous and validated approaches.
- Maintain momentum by meeting clearly defined Consortium milestones tied to assessment, capacity, planning, implementation, evaluation, and sustainability.
- Participate in a multi-campus initiative, providing opportunities to learn from and contribute to campus prevention efforts of Consortium members past and present.
- Participate in annual HPC Summits to present findings and discuss lessons learned.
What Makes the HPC Unique?
The HPC is firmly grounded in a research-to-practice approach that translates prevention science and cutting edge scholarship to inform promising practices for hazing prevention. In turn, the work of practitioners and the invaluable insights gained from their direct experience with hazing and its prevention, inform the research process.
StopHazing’s prevention experts have developed the first and only data-driven Hazing Prevention Framework© to guide the work of the HPC. As well, members benefit from the experience and knowledge gained by previous HPC members who have been implementing and evaluating prevention strategies for several years.
Effective campus hazing prevention builds on an understanding of context — that is, the campus history, culture, and climate that shape and is shaped by hazing behavior. It requires use of a combination of hazing prevention strategies that can be tailored to particular campus contexts. The HPC is guided by a philosophy that builds on insights gained from prevention science, our research and experience as practitioners, and our collaborations with professionals in the field.
Understanding there is no “one size fits all” solution to hazing, we take a tailored approach that considers unique aspects of each campus, student demographics, climate, and other factors that can impact the sustainability of a campus change process.
Upon fulfilling HPC Liaison requirements, all liaisons will receive an HPC Liaison Certificate as well as the opportunity to acquire additional HPC Credentials as a means to stay engaged and involved with StopHazing and the HPC, continue professional development, and demonstrate experience with and commitment to research-to-practice hazing prevention.
These roles include:
- Hazing Prevention Mentor
- Hazing Prevention Coach
- Hazing Prevention Research Fellow
Reach out to Meredith@stophazing for additional details on HPC Credentials.