Student Network for Advocacy & Prevention (SNAP)
What is SNAP?
StopHazing’s Student Network for Advocacy and Prevention (SNAP) is a student-led group dedicated to hazing prevention education and advocating for its comprehensive prevention. The group, comprised of students at all levels, especially college and high school students, works together to #StopHazing in communities, schools, and on campuses throughout the U.S. and beyond. Student-leaders involved are driven and passionate about violence prevention, and overall student well-being and thriving.
- Educate about the harm of hazing
- Build skills for hazing prevention
- Advocate for hazing prevention policy
- Make space for student-leaders to join together to create positive change
All members are considered Student Representatives. There will be an opportunity, as the group grows and depending on Student Representative interest and skill-sets, to level up time commitment and responsibility by becoming a Regional Leader.
What will we do?
Expectations & Time Commitment
We know that as a busy student-leader your time is limited and valuable. As a Student Representative, we hope for you to contribute a few hours (or more!) per month as you are able. Throughout the year, SNAP tasks, projects, and campaigns may shift, however, hazing prevention policy advocacy will be the focus of SNAP.
You will be expected to…
- Share your story.
- Draft a testimonial or statement for why hazing prevention or hazing prevention policy is important to you and share it with StopHazing and beyond.
- Share your story with U.S. Representatives, Senators, and institution leaders (see below!)
- Outreach to representatives.
- Contact your federal representatives and urge them to sponsor REACH.
- Encourage friends and your networks to also contact their representatives.
- Check-in with the team.
- Attend a monthly 30-45min check-in and planning meeting with your peer Student Representatives and StopHazing staff.
- Stay up-to-date.
- Read and respond as necessary to emails from StopHazing. These may include anything from policy or communications updates to social media sharing to just plain fun and networking opportunities.
Beyond knowing that your time spent working to #StopHazing directly impacts the communities you reside in and helps keep students healthy, safe, and alive, you also will gain:
- Opportunity to add the Student Network for Advocacy and Prevention and affiliation with StopHazing, the pathbreaking hazing prevention research group in the nation, to your resume and LinkedIn.
- Experience in a grassroots campaign to enact change at the federal level.
- Experience in policy advocacy related to hazing prevention, public health, violence prevention, campus safety, student well-being, and higher education.
- A broad professional network of scholars, campus professionals, policymakers, peer student-leaders, and beyond.
- Professional development opportunities and mentorship.
How do I join?
Complete this form! Tell us a little bit about you and why you want to join StopHazing’s Student Network for Advocacy and Prevention! We’ll be in touch with you about the next steps once the form is submitted.
Download this PDF for more information. Share it with your networks and students!